Hesk copyright removal license

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:47:23 UTC 2008

Came across a strange license today and wanted to know if it makes any
legal sense at all.  I found this via spam to the
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine usenet group:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine/browse_thread/thread/bd3928561dd5297e?hl=en

It leads to a blog that advertises applications based on PHP scripts
from PHPJunkyard.  The help desk one is named "Hesk" that uses MySQL:
http://www.phpjunkyard.com/free-helpdesk-software.php

I haven't tried them as I don't have a need.  What I found interesting
are the license terms.  The author has a "free to use" license that
requires copyright notices/links in displayed pages but they can be
removed for a fee.  It reads like an open source adware license.