License Committee Report for September 2008

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Sep 8 03:44:14 UTC 2008

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> As for a waiver of conditions, typically that would involve something like
> "I'll waive the condition that you publish source code if all you do is link
> to my work," or "I'll waive the condition that an external deployment be
> treated as a distribution." No licensor needs OSI's permission to waive a
> license condition for his own work.

Of course.  No licensor needs OSI's permission to license anything.
/But/, they do need OSI's permission to use the OSI trademarks, and OSI
should be very careful about how they grant that permission.  It is
possible to write something claiming to be a waiver but that is actually
additional restrictions.

Matt Flaschen