License Committee Report for September 2008

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Sep 7 17:06:05 UTC 2008

Matthew Flaschen scripsit:

> Perhaps the OSI could say, "An OSI-approved license may be supplemented
> by an additional permission statement.  The combination will be
> OSI-compliant, providing that permission /only/ has the effect of
> waiving conditions in the OSI-approved license, and that such waiver is
> not conditional."?  But I agree OSI would have to be very careful.

This is essentially a dual license: you may apply the OSI-approved
license, or you may apply the license with the additional permissions.
Anything multiply licensed, where at least one license is OSI-compliant,
is obviously open source.

John Cowan                                cowan at ccil.org
At times of peril or dubitation,          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Perform swift circular ambulation,