The Rails Wheels licencing system and Open Source

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 3 08:51:11 UTC 2008

Mark James wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Mark James wrote:

>>> Matthew, could you provide some examples.
>>
>> 1. Linux
>> 2. Solaris
>> 3. GNU
>> 4. Java
>> 5. Eclipse
>
> Thanks Matthew.
>
> How often is a simple distribution fee charged, and how
> often is the commercial aspect in the form of an optional
> or compulsory support contract?
>
> I wouldn't class software that's associated with optional
> support contracts as commercial software.

I define commercial software as software people make money off of,
however that may be.  However, all of the /are/ sold (often included
among other software) for straight distribution fees.

1/3. http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-6-06-LTS-Jewel-Case/dp/B000G62IDU
2. http://www.mylinuxcd.com/linux/index.php?cPath=12_79
4/5. http://www.jtecdirect.com/linux-fedora-p-1814.html

All of the above also have commercial support available.  No open source
project has compulsory support contracts, as you can always get a fork
that does not require one.

Matt Flaschen