Open Source Newbie

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Sep 2 14:37:27 UTC 2008

Tzeng, Nigel H. scripsit:

> I would not use LGPL 3.0 since it is incompatible with GPL v2 only projects.
> Instead use "LGPL 2.1 or later".

That's just an urban legend, and in this case one that's peddled by the
FSF itself.  The LGPL 3.0 plainly says in clause 4: "You may convey
a Combined Work under terms of your choice"; "terms of your choice"
would certainly include the GPLv2.  What you cannot do is take a chunk
of LGPLv3 code and intertwingle it with existing GPLv2-only code in such
a way that the LGPLv3 code cannot be replaced by relinking.

--
John Cowan   <cowan at ccil.org>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big