question about license approval

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat May 31 16:53:05 UTC 2008

Michael Reichenbach scripsit:
> Hello!
>
> There is a project with source code available for download and them
> claim to be 'free and open source'. However, them are not using an
> approved license but their own one.
>
> I am not a part of this project.
>
> But I would know whenever this license is really free or not.

Anyone can read the license; anyone can read the Open Source Definition
at http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd and see for themselves whether
the license fits it.  The OSI has no special authority except that it's
known to use a fairly careful process, involving discussion among a lot
of people with knowledge and experience.  We aren't judges, and most of
us aren't even lawyers.

That said, if you point to the license, someone may look at it and give
you their personal opinion.  That's the most you can get at this point.

> So... If no one from the projects asks for license approval also no one
> else can be sure whenever the Open Source Definition are fulfilled or not?

Even the OSI can make mistakes.  In the end, the only "surety" is
arrived at in court, and even then only on specific disputes about
specific activities.

BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        cowan at ccil.org
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan