GPL2 and IBM Public license

joe digital nkj690 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 20:42:08 UTC 2008

Hi I have a query about the following softwares that are licensed under GPL2 and IBMPL

OCFS2 - GPL
Postfix - IBMPL
iSCSI - Open standard
Dovecot - GPL

If I understand correctly you cannot claim intellectual property over this software, but lets say you have configured a combination of this software in a special way or even have added a patch to the software can you then claim intellectual property over the way its configured?  I would guess the answer is NO since it is publicly available softwareand unless you patent the patches or configuration it is public domain?

thank you,