What is considered off-site usage?

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Thu Mar 13 05:08:10 UTC 2008

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> There's nothing about "site" in GPL 2 or 3; that's just an example,
> useful or not.  It only depends whether the contractor is considered a

> separate entity.  GPLv3 attempts to address this more clearly, by
> creating a contractor exception.

The relevant portion of GPLv3 is the second paragraph of section 2,
which states

	You may convey covered works to others for the sole purpose of
	having them make modifications exclusively for you, or provide
	you with facilities for running those works....

Although an attorney -- which I am not -- would probably tell you that
you
cannot construe GPLv2 using additional concepts from GPLv3, the intent
here in GPLv3 is clear enough that use of contractors or outsourced
hosting
providers does not constitute conveyance (distribution in GPLv2
nomenclature).

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center