Public domain software is not open-source?

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:50:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>
> > Are you okay?
>
> I'm fine, thanks.
>
>  In "..." part you snipped I made it pretty clear that
> > licensee (me) can sue (in contract) licensor (Mr. Rosen).
>
> This has nothing to do with my point, that a copyright holder can not
> sue himself.

That's a Nobel Price discovery! Well, I just note that you contended
that "he can't violate the license." (see up-thread)

To repeat, Mr. Rosen is on record:

"Most open source licenses you'll find at www.opensource.org and all proprietary
software licenses you'll find anywhere are to be interpreted under
contract law. They can be
enforced, like other contracts are enforced, against both a licensor
and a licensee.

Contracts can almost always be enforced against a licensor. If a
licensor promises you
the source code, or promises not to interfere with your lawful uses of
the software, he is bound
by those promises as long as you reasonably relied on those promises
when you accepted the
contract. The general rule is that the author of a contract is bound
by his own words."

regards,
alexander.

--
"12/21/2007 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...
 01/22/2008 ORDER TO EXTEND TIME FOR DEFENDANT...

 -- 1:07-cv-11070-LTS aka Never Beginning "GPL Enforcement" case