Public domain software is not open-source?

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 6 05:12:08 UTC 2008

Matthew Flaschen [mailto:matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu]
> Envoyé : mercredi 5 mars 2008 23:42
> À : License Discuss
> Objet : Re: Public domain software is not open-source?
>
> Philippe Verdy wrote:
> > I tend to think that anyone that provides some content with
> a licence
> > but without signing it and claiming it the right way with a
> copyright
> > notice is a liar, and I can't trust anything and certainly
> not the exposed licence.
>
> Again, he has no obligation to put a copyright notice.

I did not say that he MUST put a copyright notice, but that it MUST do that
IF he wants to LICENCE it. Otherwise the licence is just FUD!

And YES! he is a liar if he gives a licence without a copyright statement,
i.e. an explicit claim of ownership of the rights covered by the licence.
The fact that he sent the email proves nothing, and certainly not that he
owned the right on the exposed content (the text in the mail could have been
stolen, or sent by someone else under his name without his consent).