Public domain software is not open-source?

Ernest Prabhakar ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:09:15 UTC 2008

Hi all,

If you're going to keep discussing this, at least try to make it into
relevant FAQs.

Thanks,
-- Ernie P.

Q. Is it possible to explicitly declare a work to be Public Domain by
waiving your copyright?

Legal opinions differ cf. <http://linuxmafia.com/kb/
Licensing_and_Law>, but there are some precedents which imply that it
might be possible:

[Are there links to these online?]

> "Waiver is the intentional relinquishment of a known right with
> knowledge of its existence and the intent to relinquish it." United
> States v. King Features Entm't, Inc., 843 F.2d 394, 399 (9th Cir.
> 1988).

> In copyright, waiver or abandonment of copyright "occurs only
> if there is an intent by the copyright proprietor to surrender rights
> in his work." 4 Melville B. Nimmer & David Nimmer, Nimmer On Copyright
> ¶ 13.06 (2000); see also Micro Star v. Formgen, Inc., 154 F.3d 1107,
> 1114 (9th Cir. 1998) (discussing abandonment). ; A&M RECORDS, Inc. v.
> NAPSTER, INC., 239 F.3d 1004 (9th Cir. 2001)
>
> "It is well settled that rights gained under the Copyright Act may be
> abandoned. But abandonment of a right must be manifested by some overt
> act indicating an intention to abandon that right. See Hampton v.
> Paramount Pictures Corp., 279 F.2d 100, 104 (9th Cir. 1960)." Micro
> Star v. FormGen Inc. 154 F.3d 1107 (9th Cir. 1998)

As always, consult your own legal counsel for their opinion.  If you
insist on pursuing this option your for your own software, it is
probably best to use a formal Public Domain Dedication a la Creative
Commons:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

Of course, from an Open Source point of view, you can achieve a very
similar effect by simply using a permissive license like the MIT
License <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php>

Q.  Is Public Domain software also "Open Source"?

Not really, since it is not under an OSD-approved license.  However,
truly public domain software can always be made available under an OSD
compliant license, so in practice the issue is moot.