question on a BSD-type license

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 22:28:55 UTC 2008

hi

A student in our group had developed a computational code to
perform a specific research data analysis, he decided to open-source
the program using a BSD-like license such as the one listed on
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

However, in addition to the 3 clauses, we want to emphasize the following
condition:

The Software has been designed for research purposes only and has not been
reviewed or approved by the Food and Drug Administration or by any other
agency.  YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT CLINICAL APPLICATIONS ARE NEITHER
RECOMMENDED NOR ADVISED.

in the license.

My question is:
1. is this additional clause redundant from the no-liability disclaimer
in the license?
2. does this additional contradict with the other terms and invalidate
the BSD license?

and any other suggestion to use a BSD license while emphasizing this point?

thank you

Qianqian