Implicit Patent Grants

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jul 2 19:46:42 UTC 2008

Is there a good place to read about implicit patent grants for a layperson?  And THEN how it might apply to open source licenses?  I did a google but I got a lot of hits regarding GPL2 and that it relies on an implicit grant and some discussions about how license X has one but not a good primer on the core issues and what beyond "use" and "sell" terms might imply an implied grant.

Yes, I tried -GPL in the search but then got almost no relevant hits. :)  I assume any discussion includes talking about GPL at some point.

I want to know enough to ask more intelligent questions...typically online sources is good enough for this and I consider myself at least a brown belt in google-fu. :)