Convert GPL to MPL

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sat Jan 19 11:53:07 UTC 2008

Philippe Verdy wrote:
> So you don't FULLY own the translation. Your fast reinterpretation of what

I honestly have no idea what you mean then by "fully owning". I can
fully exclude people from publishing or reproducing my translation.
There's no limit on my copyright based on the fact that the translation
is of a public domain work.

The only things I can't do is prevent others from publishing the original
work or making another translation - as long as they don't base their
translation on mine.

What things can I not do with my copyright on this translation that
I could do with a copyright on a fully original work?

> However, you can fully own the preface that you could add to the
> translation, and you have the right to sign it with your name. If you
> publish your translation, you MUST also cite Shakespeare as the original
> author, and you must provide the original title in the attribution page,
> even if you change/translate the title for your book, or add a subtitle.

I am fully entitled to claim authorship of the translation. Of course
it would be wrong to say I wrote the play itself. But that is a moral
issue, not a legal one in most jurisdictions.

French law has perpetual moral rights, but e.g. in Germany they expire
when the economic rights expire. I don't think England has perpetual
moral rights, so legally I'd be in the clear if I omitted Shakespeare's
name from my translation.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/