GPL issue at my work place

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Fri Jan 18 12:10:44 UTC 2008

James McGovern wrote:
> The thing that would make most lawyers in corporate America more comfortable
> about open source is if someone who violates a license were to sue another
> and NOT litigate a deal only to have it not go to court. If open source were
> to make it through the US court system where a judge ruled on it, and
> lawyers could then make their decisions based on precedence, things would be
> a lot better.

This has already happened: see Harald Welte's activities in Germany
against Sitecom, Skype and others.

As far as I can tell this has not made European lawyers more (or
less) comfortable with open source licenses.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/