Our Purpose (Re: DRAFT FAQ: Free vs. Open)

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 11 00:40:30 UTC 2008

Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
> This isn't "averaging out all views", it is trying to listen to all
> sides and come up with something reasonably NPOV that reflects _my_ (and
> the editors) best understanding of reality, in way that is (hopefully)
> easily digestible to outsiders.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view

I don't know that NPOV is necessarily appropriate here.  OSI /is/ an
ideological organization, and I think its FAQ should reflect its
opinions, rather than just any significant opinion on the list (NPOV).

Now, the list can help express OSI's opinions, but that's distinct from
deciding them (which ultimately, the board does).

Matt Flaschen