OSI enforcement?

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Thu Jan 10 21:34:54 UTC 2008

>Rick Moen [mailto:rick at linuxmafia.com]
>Quoting Tzeng, Nigel H. (Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu):

>> But they don't do it for $20K per copy like I was paying for Solaris with
>> Silver support.  Neither does Sun.

>This is irrelevant to the prior discussion.  If you wish to start an
>entirely new discussion about comparisons between companies, I certainly
>won't stop you, but have no desire to participate.

I thought it was relevant because Donovan's claim is that because open source
provides free solutions that you can't make money (except from nice people) on
it where you disagree saying that you can because Red Hat does.

My position was it's somewhere in the middle.  That functionally identical solutions
to RHEL exist in the form of CentOS exists that caps the upper limit that Red Hat
and Novell can reasonably charge for an enterprise linux.

This is more easily seen in the impact that Linux (a more or less functional equivalent
to Unix) had on Solaris pricing.  From $20,000/license to "free unless you want
Sun support".

But hey, we've all said our piece so yeah, there's not much point in going on.

Nigel