DRAFT FAQ: Free vs. Open

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 10 04:48:46 UTC 2008

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at ccil.org):

> My point is that DFSG represents a separate interpretive tradition of the
> same text as OSI.  (I'm not now talking about the debian-legal fanatics,
> but about what actually gets into Debian.)

I can readily see that this observation is true; what I'm not seeing is
why it's a problem.

The one document is widely used to determine what is open source.  The
other document is widely used -- and not just by the Debian Project --
to determine what is free software.  Why would mentioning that fact be
"confusing" in the context of Ernie's FAQ entry?

I find both to be remarkably clear and precise sets of guidelines -- as
well as genuinely reflecting the ideas behind them.  The fact that
they're substantively identical is coincidental to that point (though
also quite handy).