OSI enforcement?

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Wed Jan 9 03:59:31 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 Jan 2008, Donovan Hawkins wrote:
> [snip]
> FSF has a vision for how free software should be developed. At
> various points, the pursuit of that vision has led to splits in the
> community...this isn't either side's fault but is simply the natural
> result of having differing viewpoints. The permissive group split off
> when GPL was released. Torvalds appears to have hopped off the bus
> when GPL v3 was released and that may or may not result in a new
> faction.

IMO the FSF's vision deals more with how software should BE rather than
how it is developed.  How software is developed is part of the Open
Source vision, and this difference (between holding the development
process and viewing the end user rights of software as primary) appears
to be the primary point of contention between the advocates of Free
Software and Open Source.

The focus of the free software movement has always been the rights of
end users on software, while the open source movement grew out of ESR's
characterisation (in The Cathedral and the Bazaar) of the free/open
development paradigm.  To that extent, it would be true to say that the
FS movement concentrates on the users of software, while the primary
focus of the OS movement was developers of software.  Since the
original paper, of course, things have changed dramatically, and the OS
movement is also as concerned with end users as the FS movement is.

Finally the only difference we're left with is how the two movements
perceive the benefits of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).  The OS
movement believes that the FOSS is better, cheaper, more secure and
more relevant.  The FS movement believes that all software should be
FOSS, since non-free, proprietary software denies users the four
freedoms (freedom to run, study and adapt, redistribute and improve the
software) and reduces the total amount of wealth in the world (software
hoarding).

--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/
 Freedom in Technology & Software || February 2008 || http://freed.in/