OSI enforcement? (Was Re: Microsoft use of the term "Open Source")

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 5 23:14:40 UTC 2008

Quoting Arnoud Engelfriet (arnoud at engelfriet.net):

> Well, I only made the suggestion because it seemed to me OSI would
> have a fair chance of obtaining a registered trademark today.

And I think you're right.  I've been couching my recent posts (on the
specifics of how one should best attempt to register a descriptive mark)
in general language rather than addressing OSI's specific situation,
because IANAL and because I'm wary of the USA's Unauthorised Practice of
Law statutes.  (Talking about trademark law in general terms is anyone's
prerogative.)