Open Source Licenses and Embrace-Extend-Extinguish

Rod Dixon roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Thu Feb 14 23:27:18 UTC 2008

>> I've worked on a few protocols and document standards over the
>> years. One thing I've noticed is the tendency of certain players to
>> either partially support an Internet standard, or add features to
>> it making it no longer cross-platform. There are too many examples
>> to list.
>>
>> My question is:  are there any copyright licenses that are open,
>> but have features designed to combat these practices?

Like Dracula, the "embrace-extend-extinguish" model works best in the
dark (closed-source), not in the light of open source (where it is
easier to remove the "bad" extensions from a codebase). When an open
standard is successfully implemented/expressed as copyrightable
software, one of the most effective ways to combat attempts to kill
the open standard is to keep the source code open. Use a license with
a strong copyleft provision, and you should be fine. No software
distribution license or software development method will guarantee the
outcome you desire since (for better or worse) end-users occasionally
accept "extensions" that take away choices.

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
roddixon at cyberspaces.org