Open Source Newbie

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller robin at roblimo.com
Sun Aug 31 21:35:09 UTC 2008

Deepak wrote:

> The priority is both. Maximum reuse and maximum contribution/
> collaboration
> also.

Among new projects registered on SourceForge.net in May of this year
(the most recent month for which I have figures at my fingertips), a
*large majority* (2116) use the GPL, with "Public Domain" (374) #2 and
LGPL (354) #3.

A few more numbers:

BSD: 228
Apache License V2.0: 184
MIT: 137
Academic Free License (AFL): 131

The rest are all in two digits, all the way down to a single, lonely
project that uses the (OSI-approved) Microsoft Reciprocal License.

For maximum code compatibility with other F/OSS projects, GPL is the
obvious choice.

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
Editor in Chief,
SourceForge, Inc.