restarting License (anti-)Proliferation

Scott Shattuck idearat at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 5 16:19:53 UTC 2008

Personally I think these ideas lead to a very slippery slope. It's one
thing to announce that upon further review a particular license
doesn't actually comply with the OSI definition. It's entirely another
to say one is preferred and another is deprecated. The former is a
clear responsibility of the OSI as the arbiter of what constitutes
compliance. The latter begins to step into a realm where the OSI can
be affecting business outcomes by passing quality judgements on
licenses in the absence of sufficient detail. Stating that a license
is "preferred" or "deprecated" is a fitness-of-purpose judgment in
some sense -- one which can't be made without taking into
consideration the goals of the licensor, licensee, and the various
specifics of the licensed software, the nature of the consuming
application and subsequent distribution requirements. In my mind
attempting to place a broadly sweeping value judgement on a license in
the absence of such information is a fools errand.

What I believe might be useful would be to publish "commentaries"
which describe what the community considers to the be pros and cons of
a particular license with respect to a set of common licensing
scenarios. This information would then allow both licensors and
licensees to get perhaps a clearer view of the tradeoffs each license
choice embodies. This is the kind of information the software
community needs -- not labels which can't really assist in making
informed licensing decisions.

ss