Creative Commons

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Tue Aug 5 04:00:43 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 05 Aug 2008, Rick Moen wrote:
> [snip]
> It should be bourne in mind that most of the CC licences are (by
> design) proprietary.  That is, some of them intentionally do not
> grant the right to create or distribute derivative works, and some of
> them intentionally grant that right only for non-commercial re-use.
>
> Applying the OSD as criterion, the current 3.0 licence revisions
> divide like this, in my opinion:
>
> Proprietary
> -----------
> Attribution-NoDerivs
> Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
> Attribution-NonCommercial
> Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
>
> Open source
> -----------
> Attribution
> Attribution-ShareAlike

OK, I stand corrected -- thanks for the insight, Rick.  On the other
hand, I don't know how far we can go applying criteria for software to
documents -- what you propose appears reasonable and intuitive, but I'd
still advise caution when applying the OSD directly to document
licences.

Regards,

-- Raju
--