For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Sep 29 10:14:53 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
  Do you have evidence "Permissive License" has a significantly different
> meaning than "Academic License" in the FOSS community?  If so, I am
> willing to discuss that with you.

In the open source community, most of these distinctions are only known
to a small number of people.

However, the general public will make a better guess of the meaning of
Permissive, and the term Academic is used by proprietary software
vendors to imply a field of endeavour restriction on licences that do
not permit redistribution.  I would think Academic would be unsafe on
any open source licence from Microsoft, as they are already strongly in
to discounted "academic" proprietary licensing.

--
David Woolley