Scope of copyright on derivative works

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Sep 28 22:50:25 UTC 2007

Alexander Terekhov erroneously suggested:
*    Copyright (c) 2007 GPL Developer Who Made Changes <gpl at example.org>
*
*    This file incorporates modifications covered by the GPL... [blah blah]

Your "blah blah" is wrong. The correct notices would be:

   Copyright (C) 2007 GPL Developer Who Made Changes.
   This file is licensed under the GPLv2 [or GPLv3].

I'm serious: This [entire!] file is licensed under the GPLv2 [or GPLv3]!

But that's not the end of the story....

Although it is not required by copyright law, my OSL and AFL licenses
require this new GPL Developer Who Made Changes to OSL/AFL-licensed works to
retain preexisting copyright and licensing notices in her Changed Work as a
condition for partaking of those preexisting licensed works and distributing
those changes. That way, anyone who receives the Changed Work (under the
GPL!) knows from reading the source code that at least some portions of the
code remain available under the AFL or OSL.

The same relationship is true for any code combined legally into
GPL-licensed software, including Apache and Eclipse and BSD software,
although the requirements to retain notices in the source code or elsewhere
may differ in these licenses. But from a licensing perspective, the entire
Changed Work is under the GPL; the original components--or what remains of
them in the source code--remain licensed under their respective licenses.

The Changed Work is allowed only because the original open source licenses
on the contributions authorize the making and distribution of changes. I
call that "sublicensing", although some lawyers prefer to view it as
"licenses emanating directly from their original licensors". Those are
different way of describing the relationship of the parties, but I believe
both have the same practical result.

Indeed, it is because of this common understanding of how free and open
source licenses interact that the Apache license is now understood to be
compatible with GPLv3. There are aspects of the Apache 2.0 license (such as
the Apache licensor's defenses against patent lawsuits, and the
indemnification requirement) that remain in effect for the Apache components
in the Changed Work even though the work as a whole is licensed under the
GPL. That's the consequence of the ways we do sublicensing in open source.
Our customers need to understand that.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243
Skype: LawrenceRosen
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
                Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)