Scope of copyright on derivative works

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Fri Sep 28 22:19:58 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
> Andy Wilson wrote:
>>	  Adding
>>	additional Ts and Cs to the core BSD set is allowed when
creating a
>>	derivative
>>	of BSDL code, be they GPL terms or (to pick another prominent
usage of
>>	BSDL licensed code) those of an Apple proprietary end user
license.

> Funny, the idea that changes can be copyrighted under more restrictive
terms is something I have been saying all along too.

> In short, if you modify a BSDL application, your changes are your own,

> and you can license them however you wish, provided that they are
worthy of copyright.

The point you are (repeatedly!) missing is that you have permission
from the original licensor under BSDL to modify not only the covered
code, but
to modify the license grant itself, as long as
said modified license grant includes at a
minimum the original BSDL notice and disclaimer.

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center