For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 26 20:12:17 UTC 2007

Quoting Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu):

> I would prefer if Microsoft addressed the "permissive" issue now (i.e.
> before official board consideration), either by renaming the license or
> removing the relevant clause (though the latter may make it duplicative).

Just a reminder:

I rechecked OSD to see if it includes...

   11.  The licence must not bear a name that the OSI Board deems to be
   misleading.

...and cannot find same.

In my experience, the effect and merit of a licence have everything to
do with its substantive content and nothing to do with its name, even if
the latter is "Eats Your Children and Destroys the Capitalist System
Licence".

Otherwise, we could have debate about whether the Adaptive Public
License is really all that nimble, whether Fair License is equitable,
whether Common Public License isn't in fact a bit oligarchic, whether
Educational Community License truly advances the state of public
knowledge, etc.

--
Cheers,                     Peter G. Neumann:  "Mars has been a tough target."
Rick Moen                   Harlan Rosenthal:  "That's because the Martians keep