For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Mon Sep 24 22:50:03 UTC 2007

Well, here's one lawyer that will quote another (who does post on this
list with some regularity):

"The BSD license even allows software to be taken from that public
commons and used in proprietary applications. There is no obligation for
the licensee to return anything to the commons. But despite the absence
of such an obligation, the BSD "gift of freedom" is being repaid over
and over by companies

and individuals who see more value to them in giving software away under
an academic license than in keeping it private."

http://www.rosenlaw.com/Rosen_Ch05.pdf

I'm curious as to what you mean by the "permission grant" that is
required to be included on every copy of the source code.  Do you mean
the statement that "Redistributions of source code must retain ... this
list of conditions"?  Perhaps you can explain how that constitutes a
"permission grant" (or what a "permission grant" is under copyright
law).