RPL 1.5 discussion

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Sep 20 04:17:01 UTC 2007

Philippe Verdy wrote:
> So any licence should tolerate these mandatory legal attributions, because
> not accepting them would make the licence completely invalid and not
> enforceable in many countries (where the legality of publications in the
> "public domain", without a protected signature, i.e. anonymously, is also
> highly questionable, and the destruction of these identifiable signatures
> is illegal).

I don't understand all that. But if you want to make sure that appropriate
attribution is protected in your special jurisdiction, then I suggest that
AFL, OSL and Non-Profit OSL 3.0 already take care of that. They provide for
an "Attribution Notice" of your own composition that must be retained in the
source code of licensed software. (See section 6 of both licenses.)

The issue about whether executable copies must display notices is different
from this. I doubt seriously that any jurisdiction in the world requires a
visible attribution notice identifying the licensor on the screens of users
of executable software in order to afford copyright protection to the
software code itself or to enforce the open source license for that
software.

/Larry Rosen