AFL 3.0

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Sep 19 23:45:13 UTC 2007

[Topic changed from "OSI Approval process"]

Matt, you are overanalyzing the GPL. I was told by an SFLC attorney during
the development of GPLv3 that there is no reason why AFL 3.0 is incompatible
with it. That opinion matters more to me than any of the speculation and
opinions on this list. But if you want to spend more time on this question
here, I guess nothing will stop you.

This started because someone asked for an academic license to use for his
purposes. I recommended AFL 3.0, which works for the purposes he specified,
regardless of the confusion that (still) exists here over the GPL.

You asked the meaning of this phrase in AFL 3.0: ""any license of your
choice that does not contradict the terms and conditions" of this License.
That means that GPLv3 and many other licenses are compatible with it,
because they do not contradict the terms and conditions of AFL 3.0.

When did this become a venue to discuss licenses such as AFL 3.0 that are
already approved?

/Larry