Automatic GPL termination

'Rick Moen' rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 19 15:39:50 UTC 2007

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at ccil.org):
> Philippe Verdy scripsit:

> > The GPL does not steal any IP right when they exist and are
> > restricted.
>
> True.  However, the GPL *is* merely tactical for Moglen -- he'd much
> rather see copyright and the other IP rights abolished, de facto if
> not de jure.

(John, you're certainly aware of the following, and I'm speaking
figuratively over your shoulder.)

The motives (real or imputed) of a licence's drafter are however an
extremely poor predictor of actual _uses_ of the licence.  E.g., a few
moments' reflection should suffice to recall numerous companies using
GPL/LGPL and other copyleft licences as part of proprietary software
business schemes.

This point that merits of the licence are entirely distinct from those
of the licensor, that open source licences can be used by anyone for
a broad range of uses, as can any covered works, might also be useful
for those contemplating MS-PL / MS-CL, to pick one random example.  ;->

--
Cheers,                     Peter G. Neumann:  "Mars has been a tough target."
Rick Moen                   Harlan Rosenthal:  "That's because the Martians keep