For Approval: Open Source Hardware License

Chris DiBona cdibona at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:23:21 UTC 2007

I've been meaning to reply to this for some time. We done some funding
of "open source " hardware development at Google (as opposed to
software funding, which we do all the time, mostly using the apache
license) and so what we do is apply an apache license to released
specifications, circuit diagrams and firmware. This serves our needs
well even though we're forcing a fit of a software license to a
hardware item.

That said, it tell people what we -mean- by release, which is very
important, and we like the patent and trademark language. I'm not sure
we need a seperate license just for hardware, but it would be
interesting to see what people -mean- by hardware license. Most
hardware nowadays is fundamentally a datafile with a circuit diagram,
verilog (yes, I'm a dinosaur) 'code' or other similar electronic
files, with the physical artifact acting only as an end product or in
initial runs as a debugging mechanism for said data files.

Chris

--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com