Automatic GPL termination

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:55:30 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Stephane Dalmas <stephane.dalmas at sophia.inria.fr> wrote:

[... "cessible" ...]

>  This is (probably) very different from what you mean by "sublicensing".

Okay. Let me try it this way: CeCILL allows distributors to (so to
speak) upgrade license contract for subsequent distributions to future
versions of it (and also mutate to the GPL, including its future
versions, if contaminated).

"Any Software distributed under a given version of the Agreement may
only be subsequently distributed under the same version of the
Agreement or a subsequent version, subject to the provisions of
Article 5.3.4." (Article 5.3.4 is about GPL contamination.)

What is that if not sublicensing by distributors acting as
(sub)licensors in sublicensing contracts?

"Licensor: means the Holder, or any other individual or legal entity,
who distributes the Software..."

Original licensor certainly can't be a party to a contract that isn't
even drafted yet.

regards,
alexander.

--
"PJ points out that lawyers seem to have difficulty understanding the
GPL. My main concern with GPLv3 is that - unlike v2 - non-lawyers can't