Automatic GPL termination

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:51:43 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
[...]
> So when you consider all this, the exclusive rights of authors are very large (note
> that in France, some rights are not even transferable...

Ha. Re "transferable." CeCILL's grants (of economic rights) are "transferable."

"The purpose of the Agreement is the grant by the Licensor to the
Licensee of a non-exclusive, transferable and worldwide license"

And even aside clear language granting sublicensing right to distributors

"Licensor: means the Holder, *or any other individual or legal entity,
who distributes the Software*"

("Holder: means the holder(s) of the economic rights...")

an advice report from the EU Commision let us know the following:

http://europa.eu.int/idabc/servlets/Doc?id=19296

"it describes itself as a "transferable" license (this non legal term
could be construed as "sublicensable"), the CeCILL license"

and (table on Pg. 33)

2.2.1 sublicense system/CeCILL  ... Yes? "transferable license"

So let's agree that it is more likely "yes" than "no", okay? :-)

regards,
alexander.

--
"PJ points out that lawyers seem to have difficulty understanding the
GPL. My main concern with GPLv3 is that - unlike v2 - non-lawyers can't