Automatic GPL termination

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:53:38 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
[...]
> FSF. Even if you transmit a translation of the GPL, you must still provide a
> verbatim copy of the original unmodified GPL text in English, and the GPL
> states that the translation must not be legally binding.

Oh really? What about the French "Loi Toubon"?

Just curious. :-)

"The French Loi Toubon required all contracts to be drafted in French;
though the law is revised by now, free software licences such as the
GPL are still regarded as invalid because they are in English"

http://www.llas.ac.uk/resourcedownloads.aspx?resourceid=2060&filename=tsiavos.pps

"The first point is that the licence contract is not in French. French
law enacted the "Loi Toubon" for the protection of the French language
that stipulated that all contracts and legally binding documents
creating obligations towards another person have to be drawn up in
French in order to be legally binding. To the present day, AFAIK,
there is still no official translation of the GNU GPL. Wy the FSF
hasn't bothered to consider this is beyond me, but still, maybe they
think that litigation will only ever occur in the US."

http://www.oslawblog.com/2005/01/gpl-and-non-us-law.html

LOL.

regards,
alexander.

--
"PJ points out that lawyers seem to have difficulty understanding the
GPL. My main concern with GPLv3 is that - unlike v2 - non-lawyers can't