[OT] Noise filter, was: For Approval: GPLv3

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 19:15:32 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> Luis Villa writes:
> > Most of us can trivially point out who the trolls are ...
>
> I notice that you haven't done that.  I fear that the problem is MUCH
> less trivial than you think it is.

I think there are three problems:
1) Wandering off-topic
2) Lack of basic courtesy
3) Trolling (I think there are two individuals I can name who seem to
unambigously fall into this category)

I don't think one can really deal with the third issue until separately from
the other two.  The first two issues can and should be managed by OSI
leadership.  In other words, reminding people to stay on-topic and provide
basic courtesy to others, and banning those who refuse under any
circumstances to cooperate in these endeavors (only after appropriate
warnings).  At that point, if there are further problems, they can be dealt
with as they develop,

I think that moderation of lists is a good idea, but as I also say, "the
sheath is for swords" (i.e. power is best when unused or used softly, not as
a weapon).  In lists I have managed, I have not yet had to ban anybody (I
have had to give warnings though).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers