For Approval: The Simplified BSD License

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Sep 9 10:12:01 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:

> It doesn't matter that literal-minded computerists think they see

For open source licences, it very much matters what the computerist
thinks, because it is normally they that have to choose and interpret
and obey the licence.  This is also increasingly the case for
proprietary licences as they tend to be including more and more onerous
clauses that only the technician can really know whether or not they are
being obeyed.

> conflicts between the two.  What matters is that judges (and people with
> at least a passing acquaintance with the traditions of copyright law
> will read the situation as intended.

I agree that they will realise that the phrase is being used without
meaning, but I think they will then read the rest of the licence in the
context of having been written by someone that cut and paste codes their
legal documents, and therefore be more likely to give the benefit of
doubt against the author for other parts of the licence.

As an aside, I've often thought that imposing some of the concepts of
structured programming onto legal documents would leave them less open
to interpretation.  In particular, the exact scope of and's and or's
would be clear.

--
David Woolley