For Approval: The Simplified BSD License

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Sep 7 09:47:23 UTC 2007

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

I don't like the word "Simplified". It has connotations of dumbing down.
  I think BSD Licence without Endorsements Clause would be much clearer.

> All rights reserved.

Maybe I don't understand this phrase (IANAL), but it seems to me that
the whole point of the BSD style licence is to un-reserve many rights!
Creative Commons use of the phrase "some rights reserved" seems to be
consistent with my interpretation.  On my interpretation, this makes the
result self contradictory and therefore potentially void.

> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS

CONTRIBUTORS needs defining.  In my view, the warranty disclaimer should
only be imposed in relation to those persons that are listed in the
associated list of copyright owners.  With BSD style licencing, it
should be possible for someone to contribute to create a proprietary
fork and give some warranties (even though most software vendors would
rather not give warranties).
--
David Woolley