[OT] Noise filter, was: For Approval: GPLv3

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Sep 4 21:21:09 UTC 2007

Luis Villa writes:
 > If OSI really wants to become relevant again,

Implications that the OSI is not relevant, made on OSI mailing lists,
are not credible.

 > maybe step 1 would be 'make license-discuss useful for/usable by
 > those who don't have procmail installed.' If OSI is happy to have
 > license-discuss be what one friend called a 'cesspool', then I
 > agree wholeheartedly that passing around procmail recipes is a
 > great way to do it.

Well, there are several possibilities:

  o Full moderation of the mailing list, wherein only the worthy are
    allowed to post.  Who defines the worthy?

  o We can turn the list discussion inwards, and instead of talking
    about licenses, we can talk about who can talk about licenses.

  o If it becomes clear that someone's opinion is an outlier, then
    list participants should stop responding to them.  No judgment
    that they are 'trolling' is needed.  Someone might be wrong and
    incorrectible without needing to be a troll.

I'm a big fan of simply not replying to idiots.  If they're THAT
idiotic that their idiocy is causing a problem, then everyone will
notice that and won't need you to counter their points.  Sometimes
people need help not replying to idiots.  In that case, you contact
them OFF LIST, and request that they not reply to idiots.

That way, even the idiots get to have their idiotic say, and nobody
feels left out of the process.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | People have strong opinions
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | about economics even though