what *is* the approval process?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Sep 4 01:04:46 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
> First of all, I want to state a few things about limitations on the approval
> process.
>
> We really can't ever come to an understanding of whether a license is
> eligable for approval if we don't know what it means.  There are areas of
> the GPL3 which still seem sketchy from a procedural perspective (and while I
> can live with the idea that the permissions removal essentially creates an
> ineffectual sublicense, as Matt has stated, I am still not sure if this is
> truly the case).

It isn't strictly true that the license needs to be completely
unambiguous (in all situations) to be approved.  This is a good thing,
because no license fits that bill.  In this case, it doesn't matter
which way you read the license.  Even if it's impossible to remove extra
permissions, GPLv3+permissions is still OSD-compliant if GPLv3 is.

Matt Flaschen