[OT] Noise filter, was: For Approval: GPLv3

Tobia tobia.conforto at linux.it
Sun Sep 2 23:30:57 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> This mailing list attracts a certain number of licensing trolls
> thrilled by the apparent opportunity to waste busy people's time.
> But we have killfiles.

"a certain number" being two? :-)

I know it's OT, but this otherwise very interesting list made me pick up
man procmailrc again (daunting but rewarding task!) and I came up with
this noise filter, that you and others might find useful:

# noise filter
MY_ADDR="my.own at email.addresses|separated at by.bars"
TROLL_ADDR="this.is at a.troll|with at two.addresses|this.is at another.troll"
TROLL_NAMES="John Troll|Kathy McTroll"

:0
# for each email not directly addressed to me
*$ !^(To|Cc):.*\<($MY_ADDR)\>
{
    :0
    # if the mail is from a troll -> byte recycler
    *$ ^From:.*\<($TROLL_ADDR)\>
    /dev/null

    :0 B
    # if the mail is a direct reply to a troll -> same
    *$ ^^(.*\<)?($TROLL_NAMES)\>
    /dev/null
}

It trashes troll mails *and* their first-level replies, unless the mail
is addressed to you directly (To: or Cc:)

Tobia