For Approval: GPLv3

Raj Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Sat Sep 1 02:19:23 UTC 2007

On Saturday 01 September 2007 01:31, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Raj Mathur <raju at linux-delhi.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > phrase "Whether and when" clearly indicates that there is no
> > implicit or explicit contract created as a consequence of the GPLv3
> > itself.
>
> Just a while back former Indian Law Professor ("teacher of law for a
> short time once")  Mahesh T. Pai promulgated that "the person making
> the contract (the copyright holder in case of works under GPL)..."
> <details>

With all due respect to Mahesh Pai, I'm afraid he cannot be considered
the authoritative source for determining whether a licence is a
contract or not in India.

> I once again suggest that you contact him directly (saving traffic
> here) regarding questions about contract status of the GPL in India,
> and its governing law (Indian Contract Act), Raj.

AFAIK, IANAL, etc. the Indian Contract Act does not mention copyright
licenses anywhere, and the Indian Copyright Act does not anywhere say
that copyrights are contracts.  I'd be interested in seeing a
definitive source based on which you are making your statements above.
If you do not have a definitive source (and no, stuff pulled out from
Daksh' web site is not definitive by any stretch of the imagination)
then let's drop this discussion here and now.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                raju at kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/