Blogger claiming "shared source" is approved by OSI

Sam Ramji sramji at microsoft.com
Sun Oct 21 00:30:42 UTC 2007

Fluke (Ben):

Good to see you are still analyzing Port 25.  The comment I made was intended to narrow the title of the post in deference to the >30,000 OSS projects on Windows that are hosted on SourceForge.  In this one instance I failed to notice that most or all of the projects were under Shared Source licenses.  A failed correction is not evidence of a "dilution".

I have focused on not calling Shared Source projects "Open Source".  The two are not the same, and satisfying the OSD is *not* the same as being approved by the OSI.  I will personally insist that we use clear distinctions between Shared Source and Open Source.

I am confident that you will realize that in a company of >79,000 employees, this education will take time to distribute and absorb.

Sam Ramji
sramji at microsoft.com
+1 (510) 913-6495