BSD-like licenses and the OSI approval process

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 16 22:23:57 UTC 2007

Quoting Ph.D. (hawkins at cephira.com):

> Why would he want to switch to an unpopular license that the OSI lists
> as redundant?

Larry maintains that it's better-written and is a more certain guard
against modern legal risks, while still matching precisely the intent of
a simple permissive licence.  I think he's right, for whatever it's worth.

> It should be clear from this list that people have entrenched ideas
> about licenses that they refuse to give up.

Human cussedness observed in the open source community.  PNG at 11. ;->

> I suggested following the Creative Commons model and using keywords to
> add additional contraints like this (similar to the "attribution,
> share-alike" wording)...combining upstream works into a single project
> becomes as simple as ORing all the keywords.

You know, that actually might work, with sufficient care about phrasing.
Good idea, worth trying.