BSD-like licenses and the OSI approval process

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 12:51:35 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> >> Hence the "or other equivalent"....
> >
> > Heck, but "first sale" is NOT equivalent to "fair use" or "fair
> > dealing" (a kind of equivalent to "fair use").
>
> "First sale" is not identical to "fair use", but it's equivalent in the
> sense used here.

Okay, you suggest that I should read

"This License acknowledges your rights of fair use or other
equivalent, as provided by copyright law."

as

"This License acknowledges all limitations on exclusive rights as
provided by copyright law."

and that it overrides all other statements in the GPL contradicting it
(all other statements including all those erroneous proclamations
pointed out by Hollaar), correct?

No wonder nobody can grok the GPL having undrunken state of mind...

regards,
alexander.

--
"To show the falsity of 'PJ''s claims, in most cases I need look no further
than Groklaw itself. 'PJ' wants more journalists to use the site as a

                                     -- http://tinyurl.com/2mn3jc