Frameworx license clause 3b

Donovan Hawkins hawkins at cephira.com
Mon Oct 15 17:01:38 UTC 2007

Andrew Wilson wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
>
>> Is clause 3b of the Frameworx license really consistent with
the OSD?

>> # Any Value-Added Services that you
offer or provide, directly or
>> # indirectly, in relation to
any Downstream Distribution shall be
> offered
>> #
and provided on commercial terms that are reasonably commensurate to
> the
>> # fair market value of such Value-Added
Services. In addition, the
> terms
>> # and
conditions on which any such Value Added Services are so offered
> or
>> # provided shall be consistent with, and shall
fully support, the
> intent
>> # and purpose of this
License Agreement.

>> That sounds like a
restraint on commercial (or non-commercial)
> activity.
>
> On non-commercial Value-Added Services, certainly. An
efficient-market
> theorist would say that whatever you can
successfully charge for
> commercial Value-Added Services
represents "fair market value,"
> reducing this clause
to a tautology. I don't think tautologies
> violate the OSD but a
(perhaps unintentional) prohibition against
> non-commercial
deployment of derivatives certainly would.

They appear to
define Value-Added Services as "any
commercial or fee-based software-related service...", so a
non-commercial service would not be restricted by that clause.