BSD-like licenses and the OSI approval process

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sat Oct 13 08:36:46 UTC 2007

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> My copyright interest, as you suggest, does not extend to your BSD-licensed
> work. But I read your BSD license as giving me permission to distribute your
> work under any license I choose, including AFL 3.0, as long as I copy the
> text of your BSD license in the source code.

I agree. You can distribute BSD-licensed works under any license
you want, provided you meet the conditions in the BSD license
(and don't hold the authors liable for any damages).

Of course, I can take Larry's distribution of the work and
re-use it any way *I* want by simply complying with the BSD
license conditions. I can completely ignore the AFL 3.0 for
any parts I can identify as originally BSD-licensed.

In other words, this construct is *dual* licensing, not *sub* licensing.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/