For Approval: BSD License, PostgreSQL Variant

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Oct 11 04:13:48 UTC 2007

John, you and I agree on the fundamental rule that licenses can't be changed
without the unanimous consent of the authors or copyright owners. I wasn't
suggesting that rule be revoked.

BSD-licensed software can, however, be combined into new works and those new
works distributed under either proprietary or FOSS licenses. It is done
every day! The BSD license isn't changed; it still applies to the original
work. But the new work (or new version of the old work) isn't constrained to
be licensed under the BSD license.

So that's what I'm suggesting: Take those old PostgreSQL-licensed
(BSD-licensed, almost) programs and combine them into a new distribution
under a new license. That could be the GPL license. That could be the Apache
license. That could be the AFL 3.0 license. That could be the OSI-approved
version of the BSD license. That could be a proprietary license.

It is not a breach of the BSD license to do that. It is certainly not a
breach of faith with the original contributors, who authorized this
initially when they used the BSD-like license in the first place.

/Larry