For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

'Rick Moen' rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Oct 7 09:30:57 UTC 2007

Quoting Philippe Verdy (verdy_p at wanadoo.fr):

> This is not a hypothetical case.

Oh?  Someone's offering for sale a boxed set of open-source software
with a sticker saying "Microsoft Public Licensed"?  Where precisely can
I find that, then?

> Such system also protects mere designations of a product, and we can find
> laws that is protecting consumers from fake designations in advertising. But
> the problem is to be able to prove that the designation is fake:

Your rather peculiar[1] hypothetical -- and, yes, it's a hypothetical --
does not involve designation of origin (or of anything else besides
licensing).  It just doesn't.

Please stop inventing phony trademark and quasi-trademark issues.  This
is a waste of time.

[1] Another poster has already pointed out, separately, that your
particular described hypothetical wording ("Microsoft Public Licensed")
is rather odd _and_ quite unlikely to be used.